Bohemian Carpet Bag Pattern
The Sew Liberated Carpet Bag is the perfect bag to use as either a weekend or a daily tote. Its sturdy construction looks complicated, but the use of an aluminum purse frame makes this an easy bag to sew. The main interior is large enough for everything needed for a weekend getaway, with a smaller pocket on the outside for personal items. It's also just the right size to carry binders and laptops for the perfect work or school tote.
For more details, see our blog post on the Sew Liberated Carpet Bag.
- 1 1/3 yards 44-45" or 54" wide heavy weight fabric for the exterior main panel (home decor weight, wool, canvas and corduroy are all good options; we used a home decor weight in the sample)
- 1 1/3 yards 44-45" wide lightweight fabric for the interior lining (we used a basic quilting cotton)
- 1 yard 44-45" or 54" wide coordinating heavy weight fabric for the exterior corner accents and handles (again, wool, canvas, and corduroy are all good choices; faux suede or leather can be used by a more experienced sewist)
- 1 1/3 yards 44" wide fusible fleece
- 16" tubular frame
- 1 set of purse feet
- 1" swivel clasp for the key fob
- 7" coordinating zipper
- 1 piece of foam and foamboard, measuring 7"x17" (we used a doubled-up piece of cardboard and it works just fine!)